Granite is a popular choice for countertops and flooring due to its durability and natural beauty. However, over time, granite surfaces can become dull and lose their shine. That's where granite polishing comes in. In this blog post, we will explore the process of granite polishing and provide you with expert tips to achieve a high gloss finish for your granite surfaces using Bonastre's Novagranit Gel.
What is Granite Polishing?
Granite polishing is a process that involves buffing the surface with a polishing compound to achieve a beautiful sheen.
Steps to Achieve a High Gloss Finish
- Clean the Surface: Before starting the polishing process, make sure the granite surface is clean and free from any soap scum, oil or hard water residues. Use a soap scum and hard water remover such as Stone and Glass Scrub and rinse with a neutral ph. detergent to clean the surface thoroughly and dry with paper towels or microfiber towels.
- Mask off the area to protect surrounding surfaces from any product splatters. Wear personal protective equipment like glasses and gloves.
- Add a teaspoon of the Novagranit Gel to the surface. You will want to concentrate the product in a 2 square foot area for best results.
- Attach the back plate to your drill and secure the white pad. Place the Novagranit White Pad directly over the product.
- Begin polishing the surface by applying a slight firm pressure to the polishing gel with the drill. Spread it out gradually on a slow speed.
- As the product begins to dry out, increase the speed and reduce the pressure. Different speeds and pressure may be needed depending on the stone. Review your results and repeat as necessary.
- If you notice swirls or other marks made by the polish, add a spritz of water on the surface, and Polish the area again using the same white pad starting with a slow speed gradually increasing to a higher speed.
Maintenance Tips for Polished Granite
Once you have achieved your desired finish for your granite surfaces, it's important to maintain them properly to prolong their lifespan. Here are some maintenance tips:
- Clean spills immediately to prevent staining.
- Use a stone safe cleaner such as Easy Oxy for regular cleaning.
*sealers will not prevent all stains but allow you time to clean up the spill before a stain sets in *
By following these steps and maintenance tips, you can enjoy the beauty of your granite surfaces for years to come.
Take a look at this process in action here -->Novagranit Gel Demo
Remember, granite polishing is a specialized process, and while it can be done at home it is important to remember that due to the nature of stone itself we can not guarantee results. If you have extensive damage, it's best to consult a professional granite polishing service for the best results.
Have any questions? Give us a call at 623-444-4263
send an email to Info@cleancenter.com